Sterling Silver vs. Pure Silver

When it comes to silver, there are different grades and types available, including sterling silver and pure silver. While both of these options are made of silver, there are some key differences between them.

Sterling silver is a silver alloy that is composed of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals, typically copper. This alloy is popular for jewellery making because it is stronger and more durable than pure silver. Sterling silver is also more affordable than pure silver because the addition of other metals makes it easier to work with and more readily available.

On the other hand, pure silver is made of 99.9% silver and is often referred to as fine silver. While pure silver is beautiful and has a brilliant shine, it is not as durable as sterling silver and is not as suitable for everyday wear. Pure silver is also more expensive than sterling silver due to its high purity.

When it comes to choosing between sterling silver and pure silver, it ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. If you're looking for a durable and affordable option for everyday wear, then sterling silver is likely the better choice.

Regardless of which type of silver you choose, it's important to care for it properly to maintain its beauty and lustre. This includes storing it in a cool, dry place, avoiding exposure to chemicals or harsh cleaners, and polishing it regularly with a soft cloth. With the right care, your silver jewellery can last for many years to come.

925 sterling silver jewellery sterling silver ring

Affordable, Durable & Hypoallergenic

This combination of metals that make up 925 Sterling Silver creates a strong and durable material that is resistant to scratches and tarnishing. It also allows the silver to maintain its shine and beauty over time. Additionally, 925 sterling silver is hypoallergenic, making it a great choice for those with sensitive skin.

Sterling Silver Jewellery
is sterling silver good for jewellery everyday 925 sterling silver jewellery mens ring

Choosing Sterling Silver

When choosing 925 sterling silver jewellery, it is important to look for reputable sellers who use high-quality materials. This ensures that your sterling silver jewellery will last for a long time and retain its beauty.

The "925" stamp on sterling silver jewellery indicates that the item is made of 92.5% pure silver, which is also known as "sterling silver". The remaining 7.5% is usually made up of other metals, such as copper, to improve the durability and strength of the silver. This stamp is a hallmark and indicates the quality and authenticity of the silver used in the jewellery.

Shop Rings
925 sterling silver necklace buy sterling silver jewellery

Can You Wear Sterling Silver Everyday?

Sterling silver is a durable and high-quality metal that is commonly used in making jewellery as it can withstand daily wear.

To keep your sterling silver jewellery looking its best, it is recommended to clean it regularly with a soft cloth or special silver cleaner. Additionally, to help prevent damage, you may want to avoid wearing your sterling silver jewellery in water or while performing certain activities, such as swimming or exercising,

Sterling Silver is a great affordable option for jewellery that you want to wear everyday.

Shop Necklaces

Popular Sterling Silver Jewellery

Is Sterling Silver Good for Jewellery

Sterling silver jewellery can come in a variety of forms, including earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, and more. It can be made in a variety of styles, from simple and classic to bold and statement-making. Sterling silver jewellery is also a great option for those with sensitive skin, as it is hypoallergenic and doesn't contain nickel, which can cause allergic reactions in some people.

To care for sterling silver jewellery, it is important to keep it clean and dry. Silver can tarnish over time due to exposure to air and moisture, but it can easily be polished with a soft cloth or silver polishing cloth to restore its shine. It is also important to store sterling silver jewelry in a dry, cool place, away from direct sunlight or heat, to prevent tarnishing.

When shopping for sterling silver jewelry, it's important to look for pieces that are made of high-quality materials and are well-crafted. Sterling silver should be marked with a stamp that says "925" or "sterling" to indicate its purity. It's also important to choose a reputable seller who offers high-quality, ethically sourced materials. Shop online with Holloway Jewellery for your next piece of sterling silver jewellery to add to your jewellery collection.